Tom Lohner, an energetic and award winning Austrian artist and rising star in the art world famous for his imaginative depiction of pop culture, believes that the single most important ingredient in any artistic process is passion.
Since 2015, Tom Lohner is a proud self-employed artist, with his own management, two assistants and a camera team backing him. All launched with a sold out solo exhibition in Vienna. Another highlight was the creation of the stage and brand art work in fall 2016 for Austria’s famous traditional Almdudler costume ball in Vienna’s city hall, counting 10.000 visitors as well as a nation wide broadcast boosting his career again in his own country. From then on Almdudler’s brand owner Thomas Klein joined the popular collectors circle.
Artwork for Strongbow / cider (marketing tool).
At the beging of 2017, Hard Rock Cafe decided to host the exhibition of Lohner’s latest works titled Art Of Hard Rock by Tom Lohner, where he transformed 13 iconic rock stars into animals; the premiere event was organized by UK’s Rolling Stones management LD Communications and toured throughout other Hard Rock Cafe’s in Europe that year.
Showing his broad diversity he was invited in February 2017 by Europe’s biggest festival for old music, the ZAMUS Festival to perform a live painting in Cologne’s prestigious Balloni halls, while surrounded by an orchestra on stage in front of 250 selected guests, playing Vivaldi’s fours seasons. Tom’s interpretation of Antonio Vivaldi art work decorated numerous newspaper title pages and went on TV again.
The same year in which his manager Klaus Billinger and himself opened their Bakerhouse Gallery.
December 2017 Tom created a Santa Clause which was used commercially for UK’s most prestigious Christmas market „Greenwich Winter Time“.
2018 begun with a Europe wide release of the Tom Lohner brush series produced and hand made by the largest brush manufacturer Davinci - Defet in Germany and a personality award from the Austrian LGBT community.
Later that year he was invited to donate an art work of his to the memorabilia collection of the Hard Rock Cafe Vienna; a painted homage to the famous Austrian band OPUS placed next to Alice Cooper’s guitar. Funny enough only a few months later the same musical artist (Alice Cooper) took his own Tom Lohner portrait back home to the States when they played a show at Burg Clam / Austria.
September that year Tom created a piece for Austria’s most famous Tennis player Thomas Muster, ex. rank one of the world players.
End of 2018 two commission pieces for Austria’s biggest folk- and pop stars marked a highlight; one for Andreas Gabalier another one for Bernhard Speer (of Seiler and Speer). Gabalier commissioned him in 2019 to create a new sujet for his stadium tour throughout Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
At the start of 2019 a Tom Lohner painted tram started to run it’s daily schedule through the city of Graz / Austria an entire year long. This project was commissioned by Austria’s largest newspaper, Kronen Zeitung who used parts of the art elements for their new campaign, generating nation wide PR, a 12 page extra spread and a title page on their newspaper.
Due to great success, early that year „Tom’s gallery“ opened a branch in Germany, showing his and his artist companions at various art fairs.
Mid of April the renowned and traditional K&K Hof - Bakery created an own new Tom Lohner biscuit collection, designed with five Tom Lohner interpretations of famous Austrian emperors. Do to popularity and high demand overseas the product is now also available in Japan.
In June 2019, Tom did the Cover Artwork for the Single “Pump it up” by Austrian Superstar Andreas Gabalier and Austrian Icon Arnold Schwarzenegger. He also did the cover of the 10 years anniversary CD for Andreas Gabalier. For his sold out anniversary Tour he also made a Video for the Song “Kaiserjodler” together with London based award winning company CC-Lab.
Currently Tom is working on a five piece series called the Duchess / 5 elements, each piece is an oversized version of the original Duchess of Wind, a painting owned by the president of the National Bank and the chamber of commerce Austria Harald Mahrer.
American Rock Enthusiast Residing in Europe:
Tom Lohner’s love for the rock culture, as well as his appreciation of the more recent post-industrial music and aesthetics, is more than evident in his work, which is partly dedicated to some of the most popular rockers. With his charming sense of humor, he likes to call himself a US sunshine rocker coming from the old fashioned, historical Austria. His colorful and extremely imaginative work is capable of transforming the well-known faces of celebrities into entirely different landscapes of colors and shapes and because of this playful approach along with the technical excellence, his work has been appreciated and showcased internationally in more than 50 solo and group exhibitions.
In 2008, Tom Lohner has co-founded a design & art collective called LosLohBros, together with his brother Andy. Both brothers were really diligent and passionate artists, which resulted in a number of successful exhibitions. Eventually, both of them have moved to London in March 2010, so they could grow as artists and create artworks which meet the highest standards of design and illustration. Soon after moving to London, Lohner received an amazing offer for the position of art director at London-based TV-production agency CC-Lab. This agency is known for the collaboration with high-end clients and music stars, such as the Rolling Stones, Lady Gaga, David Bowie, Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Smashing Pumpkins and Maroon5. After he accepted this brilliant offer, Lohner started working long but great hours. Despite the fact that his days became shorter, the creator never stopped working on his own projects. He kept true to his art and continued organizing numerous international exhibitions. His work was showcased in the finest galleries in Vienna, in giant art shows in the United States, but also in pop-up galleries in Japan.
Where passion pulls – follow. Never question this – it may be the only chance in your life to be truly alive, the artist claims.
Lohner’s painting style is a refreshing combination of the traditional medium of acrylic colors and futuristic aesthetics, achieved by a certain cyberpunk and post-apocalyptic twist. The artist doesn’t shy from neon colors or well as earthy tones, such as electric blues and violets, paired with appealing geometrical patterns, which are basically made to be worn by movie stars. Lohner considers it a mighty mix of Walt Disney’s and Tim Burton’s characters along with Quentin Tarantino’s suspension of telling stories. The additional magic ingredient that binds everything together is powerful post-industrial music movement.
birth name: Thomas Lohner
born: 04.08.1982 in Bruck a.d. Mur / Austria, grew up: partly in Gainesville / Florida
exchange student in Monterey, CA: 1999
Art Director at CC-Lab (event & production agency): 2010 - 2013
Co - founder of design studio LosLohBros and the lost kids: 2011 - 2014
working as professional artist: from 2010 next to being a designer
break through: 2015 onwards (with art show H'Animalism)
recent art collaborations with: Hard Rock Cafe, Almdudler (2016/2017), Jägermeister (2017), Arnold Schwarzenegger and Andreas Gabalier (2019)
- Thransform-ARTE Art Fair/ Solo Exhibit, Eisenstadt, Austria / 30. August - 01. September 2019
- Verwandelt/ Group Exhibition of the Künstlerbund Graz, Bakerhouse Gallery, Graz, Austria / 28. June 2019
- The Art of MAKAvA/ Group Exhibition, Bakerhouse Gallery, Graz, Austria / 13. June 2019
- Discovery Art Fair / Group Exhibition, Bakerhouse Gallery - XPOST - Cologne, Germany / 10. - 14. April 2019
- Time Space & Texture / Group Exhibition with Christopher Wool, Peter Kalkhof, Bakerhouse Gallery, Graz, Austria / 15. February. - 08. March 2019
- Salon Steiermark / Group Exhibition, Künstlerhaus Graz, Austria / 12. December 2018 - 20. January 2019
- Epic1 / Group Exhibition, Bakerhouse Gallery - Graz, Austria / 15. November 2018
- Art Pavillon Graz / Messe Graz, Austria / 27. September - 01. Oktober 2018
- Die Sonnenburg Kulturtage / Solo Exhibition - Sonnenburg Riezlern, Austria / 02. August - 05. August 2018
- Oh please do @ 15 Seconds Festival / Group Exhibition - Messe Graz, Austria / 07. June - 08. June 2018
- Art Pavillon Graz / Messe Graz, Austria / 27. April - 01. Mai 2018
- Nordic Art Agency Pop up / Group Exhibtion - Södra Förstadsgatan 4 Malmö, Skåne län, 214 27, Sweden / 01. March - 21. March 2018
- Group Exhibition "Künstlerbund Graz" / Künstlerhaus, Graz, Austria / 15. December 2017 - 04. January 2018
- Greenwich Winter Exhibition / Royal Naval College, London / 15. - 17. December 2017
- Group Exhibition - Bakerhouse Gallery, Graz, Austria / 02. - 25. November 2017
- Affordable Art Fair - Nacka Strandsmässan Stockholm / 12. - 15. October 2017
- The Art of Hard Rock, Solo Exhibition - Bakerhouse Gallery, Graz, Austria / 03. - 28. October 2017
- Art Pavillon Graz / Messe Graz, Austria / 28. September - 02. October 2017
- Looking forward until 40 - Group Exhibition with Christina Boula, Anna Maria Bogner, Nicolas Dellamartina, Georg Dinstl, Christian Eisenberger, Enrique Fuentes, Julia Hanzl, David Holzinger , Maria Legat, Tom Lohner, Prenninga, Laura Stadtegger, Josef Wurm / Schloss Tabor, Burgenland, Austria / 24. September - 29. October 2017
- The Art of Hard Rock by Tom Lohner / Hard Rock Cafe Vienna, Austria / 08. August 2017
- Venice Art Crawl - Group Exhibition / Venice, California USA / May 2017
- Create Gallery Opening, Exhibition / Graz, Austria / 25. March 2017
- The Artificient Seven, Group Exhibition by Künstlerbund / Graz, Austria / 24.03.-02.04.2017
- Zamus Festival, Live Painting / Exhibition / Cologne, Germany / 22.03.-25.03.2017
- The Art of Hard Rock by Tom Lohner / Hard Rock Cafe London / January 2017
- Exhibition at Castel Dell´Ovo - Group Exhibition / Matttia Fagnoni Gallery / Naples, Italy / 10.01. - 10.02.2017
- Weihnachtliche Gruppenschau - Group Exhibition with Alfred Kornberger, Hubert Scheibl, Walter Eckert, Oswald Oberhuber, Laura Stadtegger / Galerie Czaak, Vienna / 06.12.2016
- Weihnachtsausstellung - Group exhibition with Nicolas Dellamartina, Georg Dinstl, Hermann Nitsch, Otto Muehl, Arnulf Rainer, Franz West / Galerie GALERIE, Vienna / 30.11.2016
- Retrospective - Group exhibition with Emmerich Weissenberger, Michael Maier, Joey Davis / Gallery Stross, Graz / 12.11.2016
- Wiener Innenstadt Galerierundgang - Group exhibition with Günter Brus, Otto Muehl, Hermann Nitsch, Alf Poier, Josef Wurm / Galerie GALERIE, Vienna / 13.10.2016
- Almdudlerball Ball - 30 x 8 meter stage design / Town Hall Vienna / 16.09.2016
- The Opening of Styriarte - Livepainting and exhibiton of main art work / Graz / 24.06.2016
- AustriansArt - Exhibition with Herbert Brandl, Hubert Scheibl, Oswald Oberhuber, Walter Eckert, Adolf Frohner, Otto Muehl / Galerie C, Vienna / 20.03. - 09.04.2016
- Spring Time - Exhibition with Siegfried Anzinger, Herbert Brandl, Walter Eckert, Adolf Frohner, Otto Muehl, Alfred Kornberger / Galerie C, Vienna / 03.03. - 19.03.2016
- Dead Fairy Tales - solo exhibition / Galerie C / (Vienna / AUT) 17. Dez 2015
- X-Mas Gruppenschau - exhibition with Alfred Kornberger, Gerhard Leixl, Tom Lohner, Otto Muehl / Galerie C / (Vienna / AUT) 10. Dez 2015
- H'Animalism - solo exhibition / Prato / (Graz / AUT) 28. Nov 2015
- H'Animalism - solo exhibition / Newman House W1 / (London / UK) 19. Nov 2015
- H'Animalism - solo exhibition / Galerie C / (Vienna / AUT) 30. Oct - 14. November 2015
- H'Animalism - solo exhibition / Vernissage @ Almdudler Headquarter (Vienna / AUT) 29. Oct 2015
- the BRUNS amplifier art project feat. TV On The Radio (Paris / FR) TBC 2016 (Brisbane / AUST) TBC 2016
- The artwork‘s prints of the Prato Im Palais in the Prato Im Palais (Graz / AUT) April 2015
- State of the Art - contemporary influential artists Collective show (Guwahti / INDIA) / Aug 2014
- NCS - Neon Cup - solo art show (Birmingham / UK) May 2014
- Art on Snow - Collective show (main artist) (Casino - Bad Gastein / AUT) Feb 2014
- VOLT (live painting) skate board convention (Vienna / AUT) / May 2013
- Freie Galerie, Collective show (Graz / AUT) / March - May 2012
- Art on Snow - collective show (main artist) (Casino - Bad Gastein / AUT) Feb 2013
- National Museum Joanneum / Library (Graz / AUT) / Dec 2012
- Stoke (Munich / D) / May 2012
- Art on Snow (main artist) / (Casino - Bad Gastein / AUT) Feb 2012
- STOIQUE: Japan - Charity Show - collective show (Osaka / Tokyo / Kawasaki / Kyoto / Jap) Oct / Nov 2011
- SPIN THAT RECORD - solo art show (tour):
1. BPM - Music Trade Convention (Birmingham / UK) Oct 2011
2. Upstalsboom (Kühlungsborn / D) Sept 2011
3. Castle Quellenhof (Quellenhof / D) Sept 2011
4. Art Resort Parkhotel (Bad Bertrich / D) Aug 2011
5. THE AP-ART Gallery (Soho - London / UK) Aug 2011
6. 93 FEET EAST (Brick Lane - London / UK) Aug 2011
7. Design Resort Theresia (Hinterglemm / AUT) Juli 2011
8. MQ Vienna (Museum - Mod.&Cont.Art / AUT) April 2011
9. Wängl Tängl (Mayerhofen / AUT) / March 2011
10. ISPO - METHOD MAG - Livepainting & Display (Munich / D) Feb 2011
- Skate Collective - Londonmiles Gallery, (Westbourne Studio / UK) 2010
- ISPO - Sky Seven Magazine (Munich / D) Feb 2010
- Wintersession - main artist (Chamonix / FR) 2010
- Art Whino - collective show (Virginia / USA) 2010
UK tour fall 2009 (live painting and exhibitions):
1. the Graffik Gallery (Portbello Road / London / UK) 2009
2. the Reebocklounge - collective show (Shorditch / London / UK) 2009
3. Big Freeze (snowboardevent) - solo show (Battersea Park / London / UK) 2009
4. Metro Skishow - solo show (London / winter sport convention)
5. Royal Olympia Hall (London / UK) 2009
6. FBBB show (Milton Keynes / UK) 2009
7. Absolutely Free - collective show (Statemuseum Joanneum - Graz / AUT) 2009
8. Bright Trade Show - collective show (Frankfurt / D) 2009
9. Cosmotewhat‘sup - collective show (Athens / GR) 2009
10. ISPO - collective show (Skate Board Art Crimes - Munich / D) / Feb 2009
- Seeyouskate - collective show (Thessaloniki / GR) 2008
- Zerum - collective show (Graz / AUT) 2008
- ISPO - special guest (Spacejunk Gallery - Munich / D) Feb 2008
- Skate art Crime 3 - collective show (Thessaloniki / GR) 2007
- Styrian Summer Art - collective show & work shop (Graz & Pöllau / AUT) 2007
- Cover of Andreas Gablier’s Best Of Album / July 2019
- Animated Music Video for Andreas Gablier’s “Kaiser Jodler” / June 2019
- Bridge Of Unity for the city of Graz / June 2019
- Cover of Arnold Schwarzenegger & Andreas Gablier’s Single / May 2019
- Tom Lohner biscuites edition of the Hofbäckerei Graz, celebrating 450 yrs. / May 2019
- The Tom Lohner Tram by Kronen Zeitung / Jan. 2019
- The main art work of the Trachtenpaerchenball in Vienna's city hall (stage design and promo art work) / Sept. 2016
- The cover of JUST magazine (March / June / September) - (AUT) 2016
- City Beach - 8 x 13 m mural in the city center feat. Carola Deutsch of Decasa (Graz / AUT) / May 2015
- The PRATO - interior art cover of a gourmet restaurant (Graz / AUT) / March 2015
- William Duvall - art piece for William Duvall (Alice in Chains) / July 2015
PAST projects (only the larger ones)
- W2W / auction of art piece for charity event (Melbourne / AUST) / Nov, 2014
- Bacardi Triangle / Ellie Goulding, Calvin Harris, Kendrick Lamar (look and feel of event, conception of architecture, stage, bars...) (WW - with CC-Lab)) / Nov, 2014
- TSG helmet design, plus booth design for ISPO convention 2015 (GE) / June, 2014
- Isle Of Wight - Sky add (UK - with CC-Lab) / May, 2014
- MTV Snowbombing / Prodigy, Chemical Brothers (skeches and storyboard for event camera crew and MTV promotional art work...) (AUT/UK - with CC-Lab) / May, 2014
- Cover Artwork for int. exhibiton Art On Snow (GE/CH) / May, 2014
- NCS Soccer AM Futsal Final / Birmingham (UK - with CC-Lab) / April, 2014
- NCS YES Award @ Brixton Academy (look and feel of event, conception of architecture, stage, bars...) (UK - with CC-Lab) / March, 2014
- the Querball event / (design / photography) (AUT) / Feb, 2014
- How to be a Billionaire / channel 4 documentary (look and feel of documentary / role of art director) (UK - with CC-Lab) / Jan., 2014
- RockCorps Paris / Jessy J (art director - with CC-Lab) (F) / July 2013
- MTV Snowbombing / (promotional art work) (AUT/UK - with CC-Lab) / March 2013
- NCS Gorilla / Rudimental, Clean Bandit, The 1975, Goldie Rocks (UK - with CC-Lab) / May, 2013 ...
So far I had the pleasure of working with
Hard Rock Cafe / Bacardi / Maroon5 / Fatboy Slim / Smashing Pumpkins / MTV / Hard Rock Cafe / Foofighters / Lauryn Hill / JessyJ / Wes Borland (Limp Bizkit) / Ian Thornley (Big Wreck) / Graham Nash / Mika Fineo (Puddle of Mudd, Filter, Karmin) Anthony „Tiny“ Biuso (Misfits, Guns n‘ Roses, Moby, the Dickies, Hed PE, TSOL,...) Rudimental / Almdudler / Diageo - Buchanan‘s Whisky / Rusty / Channel4, BBC, SKY TV / Mitchells & Butlers Wine / Aerial7
- The Art Of Hard Rock - Marilyn Manson / Vienna / Live Painting Edition / limited to 10 pieces
- The Art Of Hard Rock - Marilyn Manson - Epreuve d'artiste / Vienna / limited to 5 pieces
- H'Animalism / Vernissage Edition / limited to 10 pieces
- H'Animalism / Finissage Edition / limited to 10 pieces
- H'Animalism / London Edition / limited to 10 pieces
- Mrs. Gwen Dior - Epreuve d'artiste / limited to 10 pieces
- Mrs. Gwen Dior / limited to 100 pieces
- Mr. Goat / limited to 100 pieces
- Donald Our Savior - Epreuve d'artiste / limited to 10 pieces
- Mr Rabbit 2 - Epreuve d'artiste / limited to 10 pieces
- The Bashful Screamer - Epreuve d'artiste / limited to 10 pieces
- The Monster - Epreuve d'artiste / limited to 10 pieces